Welcome to GVI Fiji's Community Development Programme blog. Here you can keep up to date with our projects in Fiji.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Carolyn’s Diary - “Life at GVI Fiji” - Week 1

Sat 27th Aug - Bula Fiji
Greeted by Leti at 6.30am at Aquarius and met the other volies-I am so excited! Boarded “The Flyer” and the adventure begins. Welcome lunch at Tovuto Base was waiting for us all, followed by a tour of base and some training. Walked up to ‘the deck’ to watch our first (of many) Fijian sunsets-Amazing!

Sun 28th Aug - Settling in
Introduced to Nanuya Beach Resort on the other side of our island-stunning snorkelling and beach- I really am living in paradise. Completed all our training for H/S, construction and education- I feel prepared for anything now. Early night ahead of our first day’s work...
Mon 29th Aug - First day of work!
On cooking duty today- I’ve never thought about cooking toast without a toaster before -I think the frying pan will become my new best friend. Prepared for my first day in the field- sun cream, mozzie spray, rain poncho and life vest-ready to go. Commuting by boat to work- what a change from the crowded train...into Naisililli village hall for summer school. Arts + Crafts, Duck Duck Goose + lots of kicking and catching balls- where do those kids get their energy from? Great fun!

Tue 30th Aug- Construction
1st day of construction. With the help of the villagers we mixed a concrete base, hard work in the sun but worthwhile when it’s done..... I think I’ll be aching tomorrow. The lunch cooked by the villagers was amazing, fried cassava chips, wow so nice! I learnt my Fijian name today which is Kara, I like it already.

Wed 31st August - Loading the tank
Interesting start to the day..... loading a 5000 litre water tank onto our boat. It was actually much easier than anticipated. Lunch was cooked by a family in the village, it was amazing. I might have to try and pick up some cooking tips from them before I leave. Gazed at the stars before bed, they are unbelievable, you don’t get to see that in the UK. Stunning.
Fri 2nd September - Taking a hike
I got the boat over to Blue Lagoon resort and attempted to hike up the ‘mountain’. Amazing views but they were definitely earned by the walk up. Snorkelling on the reef to get refreshed - so many amazing fish so close to the beach. Back on base there was a new food delivery.... I never thought I’d get so excited about a cheese toasty, yummy! Dinner tonight was fresh fish courtesy of our boat drivers, what a feast.

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: